American hockey player Adam Johnson, known for his 13 NHL appearances with the Pittsburgh Penguins, died following a “freak accident” during a game in England on Saturday. He was 29.
He was representing Nottingham Panthers in a Challenge Cup game.
“The Nottingham Panthers are truly devastated to announce that Adam Johnson has tragically passed away following a freak accident at the game in Sheffield last night,” the team said Sunday morning.
Here are 5 facts about the player
– Johnson’s career took him on a journey through different leagues. He played 13 games in the NHL for the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons and then headed to Sweden to join the Malmo Redhawks for the 2020-21 season.
– Being part of Minnesota-Duluth’s college hockey team, Johnson steered them to two NCAA tournaments. In 2017, his overtime victory against Boston University secured a spot for Minnesota-Duluth in the Frozen Four.
– Adam Johnson wasn’t limited to one league. He also made stops in the American Hockey League and even ventured to Germany to play for the Augsburg Panthers in 2022-23. His next destination was Nottingham for the 2023-24 season.
– Adam Johnson was born in 1994 in Hibbing, a city in Minnesota, US.
– In the aftermath of Adam Johnson’s tragic passing, The UK Elite League made the announcement that three games scheduled for Sunday in Belfast, Fife, and Guildford had been postponed.